brief snapshots in time. memories and thoughts. disorganized and random.

Sunday, January 07, 2007

a simple turn of the page

It's simply another page turned. But this page always seems more meaningful than the others. It's when not only the month changes, but the year, as well.

Another twelve months has flown by, particularly the last week or so. It's time again for what I've decided will be an annual year in review.

A year ago at this time I was celebrating the start of the new year with family and friends, determined to make 2006 better than 2005 had been.

In some ways, I'd say I've succeeded, in others, well, not so much. But the last year has definitely brought many changes and along with them, many memories...

Flying to various places to help my best friends celebrate the end of their singledom, the upcoming arrival of their little ones, two Cali weddings and one in Austin.

Ski trips with college friends, work friends and family.

Saying goodbye to far too many friends who moved too far away.

Two trips to the east coast, to visit my many friends who live there and do some site-seeing.

Meeting two amazing blogging friends on my travels.

Yet another year when an ER visit in the beginning of August was necessary.

And yet another year with five first kisses, some that turned into more, some that didn't. And one that seems to still be going.

Many days and nights spent relaxing and having fun with friends and family.

Continuing to write, throw pottery, test out my not-so-new-anymore camera and finish another triathlon, making more new friends in the process.

Another trip to the south to see friends while listening to good music.

Another year at the beer festival and another, more humorous, run-in with the past.

Taking a boy home with me for a holiday, who, for the first time, wasn't just a friend.

Working too much. Much too much.

And of course many excellent shows including:
BB King, BHTM2, the Nadas, Cake, Coldplay, David Gray, Aqualung, Bodeans2, Freddy Jones Band, Mike Doughty, Guster2, Aimee Mann, Richard Thompson, John Hiatt, Counting Crows, Goo Goo Dolls, Gin Blossoms, Lyle Lovett, the Fray2, Chris Isaak, Pearl Jam, Tom Petty, CSNY, DMB, Death Cab, Bruce Cockburn, David Wilcox, Bonnie Raitt, Willie Nelson, Van Morrison, Gomez, Sheryl Crow, John Mayer, Los Lobos, Paul Simon, and of course my friends' bands, many times. (um, yeah, you know about my little problem, right?)

In looking back through the year in posts to find the links above, I realized that although this year wasn't filled with all good things, it was filled with enough great things that made up for the not-so-great. Many of the great things aren't specific events. Many are simple moments, some captured in words (if you want to look through those archives) but many not.

This also made me realize that I wasn't as good about writing as I had hoped I would be at this time last year. So? So, I am going to make that one of my resolutions. Yes, real New Year's resolutions to come.

Hope your 2006 was filled with love and laughter!
Happy New Year!

1 comment:

Jen said...

I'm glad it has bbeen a good year for you, on the whole. I hope 2007 is even better and that you can keep your resolution to write more- I enjoy reading it.