brief snapshots in time. memories and thoughts. disorganized and random.

Monday, January 22, 2007

what I'm looking for

I work too much. This I know. But when he called me out on it, it really bothered me.

Mostly because the truth cuts. But also because he's supposed to understand. He's supposed to be supportive.

He talks on and on about his job. I ask questions. I'm supportive. But he barely pays attention when I talk about mine. And, of course I think mine is more interesting.

Maybe it's the stereotypical thing. Maybe I'm supposed to be the one waiting to talk to him at the end of the day just to ask him how his day was.

The problem is, I'm not stereotypical. I refuse to be. If that is who he's looking for, then I guess his search is not over.

Not that I need him to be waiting to ask me how my day was. But after he asks, he could at least pretend to be interested in the answer.

I don't think the "how was your day" should be the same as a rhetorical "how are you" when passing by an acquaintance.

Work is a big part of my life right now. If he can't understand that, or take the littlest bit of interest in what interests me, then maybe my search isn't over, either.

2 comments:

Amy said...

very true. Asking a question without really wanting to listen to the answer shows an arrogance and a self-absorption in my view that I just cannot tolerate. Does he know WHY you work so much? Does he know IF you ENJOY work so much that's why you do it? Does he understand your motives and support those ideas or does he just think you work too much because of the clock on the wall?

Anonymous said...

Ugh. Any relationship is a give and take. You listen, he listens and vice versa. BLAHHHH....sometimes I hate men