brief snapshots in time. memories and thoughts. disorganized and random.

Monday, January 09, 2006

martinis and manicures

we were at breakfast Sunday. I was surrounded by friends I'd known for thirteen years. and some I'd known only as many hours.

we were laughing about the idiots we'd met the night before. about the gifts. the manicures. the martinis. about the shopping. the dress fitting. the night out that ended in. the night in that ended out. an amazing weekend.

when my friend S and I arrived in Austin, our soon-to-be-married friend's fiance picked us up at the airport and entertained us until our friend (M) got off work.

he's a great guy. the kind you want to be friends with. the kind you're elated that your friend is marrying. I'd met him when I was down that way for the music festival this fall. S met him Friday, and agreed with my earlier impression.

we had decided to go out Friday night, since the lingerie shower was Saturday, and we were staying in for martinis and manicures then.

we went to a fabulous dinner, then ditched the fiance to hit a hip bar. unfortunately, it was loud, and we wanted to catch up. so after a fantastic martini we headed back to M's house to chat over a few glasses of wine.

M had a dress fitting Saturday, she looks so beautiful in it. one last little alteration, and she'll be all ready. then we shopped in some of the cute funky boutiques. found a few things for her to take on the honeymoon.

then we headed to the shower. her soon-to-be sisters-in-law did a wonderful job. they had prepared dinner for everyone. and of course there were the amazing martinis and manicures. after we opened all the black and lacy loot, we decided to hit the town.

we went out dancing. there were these guys that kept attempting to dance with us. you know, the dance behind a girl, hoping she'll either grind with you or turn around and dance with you. what ever happened to walking up to a girl in a bar and simply saying hi?

anyway, there was a little unwanted ass-grabbing that turned into a little yelling. what idiots. if they had just asked to join us, I'm sure it would have been fun, but they had to act all junior-high about it.

it was unfortunate. one of them, the one I had been exchanging glances with long before the strange episode, was very cute. and although he was not involved in the grabbing or yelling, his choice of friends did nothing for my impression.

we finally got all the yelling girls in the cabs back to the slumber party. Sunday we woke up and headed to breakfast. the girls were inqiring about my love life (or lack therof). I filled them in on my interesting night before I left for the trip. they asked which one I'd most like to date. I know the answer. but wasn't ready to share.

on the way to the airport I checked my phone. a call and a text. both from 24. I hadn't heard from him since before the holidays. I talked to him for a long time when I got back home. when it rains it pours.

4 comments:

Robb said...

I don't know if you have ever heard Dane Cook, but he does a really funny bit on the guys on the dance floor. I wonder if I could shrink the file enough to send it to you.

Rebecca said...

When it rains it pours is right! Isn't that fun?????

And enlighten me - what's a lingerie shower? Sounds like a very "girly" type of shower!

Shananigans said...

Sounds like an absolute blast! Guys can be such clueless jerks out in the club scene, I wonder how many women actually respond to the ass grab approach?

ramblin' girl said...

Rebecca-
Just the typical gifts you might bring to a bachelorette party, but less bachelorette party, more fun with the girls... make any sense?