brief snapshots in time. memories and thoughts. disorganized and random.

Friday, June 24, 2005

all it takes is a little reminding

we're all different. we're all remarkable women in our own right. it wasn't the excellent wine or cheese or chocolate soufflé, but rather the excellent company that made last night so fabulous.

one of the girls had a beautiful baby a few weeks ago, and since she can't quite rejoin girls' night out just yet, we met at her house before we headed to the wine bar.

it's amazing to see a good friend with her husband and new baby boy. she was just glowing. and baby boy is adorable. after cooing over baby boy, we let the new little family relax, and headed over to the wine bar.

we talked about guys and kids and pets. we discussed politics and work and travel plans.

some of us have similar opinions, and some of us have differing opinions (politics, raising children, how to get a guy*), but we all value each other's opinions, and that's what makes these gatherings so meaningful.

each of us has exciting things coming up (marriage, trip to South America, half marathon). only one of us has something that's standard "life milestone" exciting, but that doesn't diminish the importance of any of our plans.

each of us has had difficult situations to deal with (car accidents, break-ups, medical concerns), but we're all there for each other to help get through the tough spots.

my friends reminded me of these things just when I needed reminding. and I love them for it.

I truly have amazing friends.

* more on this later.

9 comments:

Jeremy said...

A friend may well be reckoned the masterpiece of nature.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

So true.

Shananigans said...

Good friends are so important. The burdens of life are lighter when shared, and the joys all the more sweet.

Yoda said...

RG,

You have amazing friends? Doesn't surprise me at all.

~Kurt

Jen said...

I am jealous of you for the good friends you have. Where I live, I am one of only a few that I am starting to call "the missing age" meaning there are people here in their early twenties and people in their forties, but hardly anyone in their late twenties to late thirties. It is so hard to find friends here. I think it is because there are limited job opportunities here, and no University.

Susan said...

RG - sounds just like what the doctor ordered.

Jen - I think you need to meet up with your blogger girlfriends! : )

Rainypete said...

Friends are the sandpaper that smooth out the rough spots of our lives.

I'm just glad you found your sandpaper before life ground you away.

Anonymous said...

*sigh* I'm so jealous. Every time I try to get a good old fashioned girl's night together, you'd think I was trying to stage a political coup. Friends rock, even if you can only see them one at at time.

Lara said...

I'm jealous too...my friends from high school and college all sort of drifted apart...I'm hoping that before I get TOO much older I can find a great group like that again!

Fizzy said...

That is what a group of friends should be like. You are lucky