brief snapshots in time. memories and thoughts. disorganized and random.

Thursday, November 29, 2007

in bloom

A dozen of my friends. A few glasses of wine. Great food. Glitter. Paint. Sequins. Holiday music.

The official beginning of the holiday season for the last few years.

Despite all of our busy lives everyone took a little break to get together for a little decorating. Sharing stories. And laughter.

Most stayed to help clean up. They know I've had hostess thrust upon me for another night.

Not that I don't love having my friends over. But it would be nice to have a little time in between. Instead of four times in less than a month.

I really don't mean to complain. I love entertaining. Don't even mind the clean-up afterward. I just need a break. Mostly from other things, from my life in general.

And although I should feel all lit up like a Christmas tree after our fun-filled evening, instead I'm a little down. Wishing I could escape the snow. Go somewhere warm where there are beautiful flowers still in bloom, instead of bare tree limbs.

Not this year. Not with the accident resolution hanging over my head. Not with work. And even if I could, I wouldn't really want to be away for the holidays. It's just a nice thought every once in a while.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

it's cliche for a reason:
the holidays are hard.

Susan said...

Sometimes you need an escape and when you do...you want to be home. It's a Catch-22.