brief snapshots in time. memories and thoughts. disorganized and random.

Wednesday, July 20, 2005

how about it?

the wind blew through my hair. the air was no longer hot, but still comfortably warm. the nearly full moon was peeking out from behind a lone scattered cloud.

it truly was one of those perfect red rocks nights.

the music was dancing and swirling around the rocks jutting up into the starry sky. the show was amazing. people were dancing, deliriously happy. swinging with the sultans and sailing to Philadelphia.

the last song gave me chills. from head to toe.

one of those songs that reminds me of my childhood simply because that's when the album was released. reminds me that my brother gave me his tape of the album when he upgraded to the cd. reminds me of listening to the album over and over again one summer many years ago with my brothers in the mountains.

it's also one of those songs that reminds me of other times in my life simply because of its sappy, love song lyrics.

you've been in the sun and I've been in the rain (the guy from high school that I just started getting to know well as I left for college. except the sun and rain parts were switched.)

I'm tired of making out on the telephone (my first real boyfriend who didn't live in the same city.)

I get so tired when I have to explain (the connection I had with another boyfriend, that my friends just didn't get.)

...

a night when I ran into people I really wanted to see and catch up with. an old friend, we made plans to grab a drink soon. an old boss who was more like a friend, we planned to ski together this winter.

it's wonderful to see them, but they ask questions. questions that conjure up ghosts. maybe they would have been brought from the shadows by some of the songs anyway. but whatever conjured them, they're there. tangible. sitting on the rocky ledge. I can feel their presence in the night wind.

a question and a lovestruck romeo stir my memories with different sappy lyrics.

I start to think.

all I do is miss you and the way we used to be

and I wonder

when you gonna realize it was just that the time was wrong?

in my heart I know that you won't. and that the time was wrong for a reason.

the incredible night leaves me strangely serene, with a dash of hope. a hope that someone might someday whisper to me:

I love you like the stars above, I'll love you till I die

or maybe just a little

you and me babe, how about it?

4 comments:

Robb said...

Great blog!

Susan said...

What a great post. I think in a way we are all searching for the guy who will say that to us.

To me, I'm looking for

"The sun shines on her face, as he wakes her with a kiss, she's everything he's wanted.

They were married as high school sweetheart (although this not so much), never thought it'd be like this"

-Journey

Heather said...

Ooo, I've been letting songs rule my life...

As much as we're supposed to believe that real life isn't what it is in movies and songs, we can't help but hope for that...

ramblin' girl said...

Robb and Heather, thanks for stopping by!

GGG and Heather, I've always hoped my life would turn out like a song. of course, the song changes frequently.