brief snapshots in time. memories and thoughts. disorganized and random.

Monday, December 19, 2005

need a little Christmas now

it's amazing what a kind word from a relative stranger can do. to start the day off, he simply asked if I had a hot date this weekend. I laughed. he said he wasn't trying to be funny, he just assumed I would.

then to color my drive into work, the sun shone orange through the snow-covered trees over the lake. turning to find the pink sun glinting off the snow-capped peaks.

an apology. a long, but productive day. kind wishes from many of you. friends thanking me for hosting a great party. a waggin' tail greeting home. time to actually cook dinner. channel surfing to a sappy holiday movie.

hope returns, even though the expectations are lowered. I won't trust again as easily. I can't believe again, just yet.

the holiday spirit snuck back in. perhaps helped by the holiday potluck at work. or the cards waiting in the mail. or the twinkling tree I got to truly enjoy for the first time.

or perhaps it's just optimism that a simple you too might have been sincere.

grown a little sadder, grown a little older,
and I need a little angel sitting on my shoulder...
need a little music, need a little laughter...

5 comments:

Yoda said...

RG,

There's so much I'd write, if'n I had time. I read your post from Sunday night and was so deeply disappointed for you ("No! Not you! You're too good for that!") that I couldn't think what to say.

Last year, while Christmas shopping in Wyoming, I saw a guy wearing a t-shirt that said, "Losing faith in humanity...one person at a time," and your post reminded me of that. It's hard to imagine a more cynical view, and I don't want YOU to feel that way. Cynical, maybe as a point of humor, but not as a way of life...and then I realized that cynicism in the long term would be impossible for you. No one who lives with a dog like TheDog could ever be downhearted for too long.

~Kurt

Rainypete said...

Christmas as with happiness all year around lie within everyone. The trick is having the confidence to look within and see the beauty and potential of the world around.

Merry Christmas and well wishes for you across the year.

Anonymous said...

Have a wonderful holiday R.G.

HO³

Jen said...

I am glad you are starting to get the "spirit" back. I can't imagine why your luck is so bad as I think you are one of the neatest people out there and should have all kinds of men beating your door down.

clew said...

Daggoneit, I've had that crazy song in my head for DAYS! How'd you know that! :)