brief snapshots in time. memories and thoughts. disorganized and random.

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

don't dream it's over

I tried to harrass various friends into going. Offered a free ticket to Sam (knowing he's usually up for a good show) and others. No one could make it. As I stood outside, trying to sell my extra ticket, my friends were inside, hanging out with one's uncle.

Finally I gave up, and headed inside to find my friends. They were inside watching my friend's cousin play. The last time I'd seen him he was still a teenager, playing with his dad and uncle at my friends' wedding. He's now in his mid-twenties, and grown into his musical talent quite nicely.

My friends went backstage again after Liam played and I headed out to the smoking patio to try and sell the ticket, since there was no re-entry. I had no luck, again. his time people thought I was trying to sell the ticket I'd already gotten scanned.

Eventually, a guy outside the fence, selling his own extra ticket, came over to chat with me. We talked for a bit about how untrusting people are. How they'd prefer to pay full day-of-show prices whether than trust someone outside willing to sell the ticket for less than they payed.

After a while, I decided I wanted to go check out Fountains of Wayne, as it was their first-ever Colorado show. I handed him my ticket in case he might have better luck selling a pair. He said he'd give me whatever cash he got for it if he saw me inside.

I'd already written it off completely.

I was standing inside with other friends waiting for the headliner to take the stage when he walked by. He stopped and I asked if he sold the tickets, mostly just curious if he had any luck. He said he did, but only got half the price of the tickets.

He reached into his pocket and handed me my half. I was surprised. I suppose I was just as untrusting as the people who wouldn't buy my ticket outside.

When my friends came back from backstage, we went up to the "reserved" seats beside the stage. It was cool to see a show from there. Even better was watching one of the nicest guys I've met and his son together onstage playing some of my all-time favorite songs.

An incredible show, with incredible friends, and an exchange with a random stranger that helped further restore my trust in people.

No comments: