brief snapshots in time. memories and thoughts. disorganized and random.

Monday, February 12, 2007

little surprises

If you give them a chance, people will usually surprise you. And usually just about when you've given up on them.

He had mentioned once upon a time that he didn't like Valentine's Day. It was a fabrication by corporate America simply to make money.

I figured I didn't have to worry about making time to hang out with him to celebrate such a "useless" holiday. Particularly after he cancelled our plans Saturday, claiming he was just too tired to grab dinner.

I admit, I was a little disappointed. It's the first Valentine's Day in forever that I've had a nice guy to take me out. I decided it wouldn't be that big of a deal, as I'm heading out of town for most of the week for work, and will be spending the actual evening in my hotel room.

But while we were taking advantage of the beautiful weather, walking the dogs in the park, he told me he was taking me to dinner for Valentine's Day. To one of my long-ago-mentioned favorite restaurants. And early, since I have to leave town.

I was pleasantly surprised. Now if I can just get all my work done, get packed, and still have time to relax and enjoy dinner before I leave.

2 comments:

Amy said...

"..to one of my long-ago mentioned favorite restaurants." What a demonstration that he's not participating in the Hallmark holiday, but he's listened and knows what's important to you and he's taken the time to make it something you would love.

That says a lot.

Susan said...

Awwww.....