brief snapshots in time. memories and thoughts. disorganized and random.

Saturday, December 23, 2006

snowy aftermath

The aftermath of the blizzard is still affecting everything. The snow everywhere is magical. Except for when it causes very unmagical moods.

I spent 3 hours in my car yesterday on what should have been a thirty minute trip. I met one of my good friends for lunch and a movie for her birthday.

We tried to go see Good Shepard, but they hadn't gotten the movie in, because of the storm. We saw The Holiday, instead.

I'm no movie reviewer, but I thought it was cute. But it also worried me. There are many tear-jerking relationship moments in the movie. The only time I cried was when the old guy was honored.* Am I really that cynical?

On my way home I simply needed to stop at the store to get food for the party.

Simple. Ha.

It took me an hour to get to and from the grocery store which is less than a mile from my house. Everyone was trying to get places to finish up holiday shopping postponed by the blizzard, which closed nearly every store.

Once I got to the store, I had to completely reinvent the menu. Most of the shelves were empty and there was very little produce. I hurried around the store, gathering things, and tried to hurry home.

I quickly got ready and started setting the food out as the boy arrived with the wine and beer he had graciously picked up for me.

I was stressed that people would begin arriving and I wouldn't be ready. an hour later I was leisurely drinking in the kitchen with the boy, when the doorbell rang for the first time.

The snow kept at least half of my guests away, but extras showed up who had not made it out of town because of the storm.

It was wonderful to relax with close friends who braved the elements to celebrate the holidays. Now if I can just get my cards written, last few gifts purchased, all of them wrapped and get "home," it will feel like Chrismas.

I hope you all have a very Merry Christmas!! Be safe, stay warm!

* Hopefully that was vague enough so as not to give anything away.

No comments: