brief snapshots in time. memories and thoughts. disorganized and random.

Thursday, December 27, 2007

friends who are dear to us

Saturday, once I drove back home and after a bit of present finding, I went to dinner and a movie with friends. To celebrate one's birthday, and to give us all a little respite from the hectic holiday pace.

A little Nicholas Cage, a little salad and cheese fondue. A lot of laughter and great conversation. A perfect evening.

Sunday, after a wonderful brunch with a friend, I finished my gift gathering. Then began the wrapping extravaganza. I love wrapping. I have no idea why.

Midway through the extravaganza the boy picked me up for dinner. Over wine and tapas, I realized that despite the difficulties and idiosyncrasies, I really like this one.

Once we got back to my house, we turned on the Christmas music and opened our gifts to each other in front of the twinkling tree.

I watched as he opened his. Cute stocking stuffers. He agreed were cute. A fun travel game. And the main one. Which he loved. Despite my concern, I do know him well enough to pick out the perfect thing. I just had to think a little outside the box.

As I opened mine, I smiled. He really does listen. Sometimes. Along with a night out for the two of us later, he gave me a jersey for my favorite pro team. One of my favorite players, more so because of TheDog than the actual player.

After he went home, I continued my wrapping until I couldn't keep my eyes open. Then fell asleep with a smile on my face. With TheDog at my feet. This Christmas would be a very good one.

4 comments:

Jeremy said...

National Treasure was awesome!

I really hope they make a third... it is like being a kid watching Indiana Jones all over again! :-)

I am glad you had a good Christmas. I hope you have a Happy New Year as well!

Susan said...

I swear men totally surprise you at the holidays...I don't know where it comes from. If only the would pay more attention the *rest* of the time!

I hope you had a great xmas!

kt said...

so glad you could join us at brunch - my mom really enjoyed meeting you! and i really want to meet this boy soon - you can't hide him forever! ;)

Trish Ryan said...

What a great Christmas...it made me feel all warm and happy just reading about it. Gotta love fallling asleep with a smile on your face and a dog at your feet :)